Dentists
Okay so I haven't been to the dentist in... I dunno, over a year, until today.
Throughout my life I've had a few variety of dentists to check on me. My aunt in the Philippines was the earliest that I can recall. From her, I got a couple of fillings. Don't get me wrong I trust her, but I just don't trust the "methods." Maybe it's just that I kept thinking, this would be much more reliable if she had the "technology."
Then came the mainland dentist and that turned out to be okay. In Vanuatu, I had a French dentist... that's where my opinions started to change. The "wisdom-teeth-pulling" runs in my mother's side of the family. He suggested that they needed to be removed before we left the country as soon as possible. This never happened and since then, another checkup from the mainland confirmed that it never needed to be pulled out. What happened? Did my wisdom teeth miraculously come out fine? Or was it misdiagnosed? The aches did go away.
Now I'm in Hawaii, and the verdict is that my wisdom teeth are just fine the way they are. The checkup in general was good: minor cavities, two fillings needed (I think the old fillings deteriorated), and a mention of "evidence of teeth grinding." What the frak?! I never grind my teeth while I'm sleeping, unless my sig. other can vouch otherwise. There's no way I'm gonna wear a mouth guard like Gabe.
So you can see, I have a hard time with trusting dentists these days.
Throughout my life I've had a few variety of dentists to check on me. My aunt in the Philippines was the earliest that I can recall. From her, I got a couple of fillings. Don't get me wrong I trust her, but I just don't trust the "methods." Maybe it's just that I kept thinking, this would be much more reliable if she had the "technology."
Then came the mainland dentist and that turned out to be okay. In Vanuatu, I had a French dentist... that's where my opinions started to change. The "wisdom-teeth-pulling" runs in my mother's side of the family. He suggested that they needed to be removed before we left the country as soon as possible. This never happened and since then, another checkup from the mainland confirmed that it never needed to be pulled out. What happened? Did my wisdom teeth miraculously come out fine? Or was it misdiagnosed? The aches did go away.
Now I'm in Hawaii, and the verdict is that my wisdom teeth are just fine the way they are. The checkup in general was good: minor cavities, two fillings needed (I think the old fillings deteriorated), and a mention of "evidence of teeth grinding." What the frak?! I never grind my teeth while I'm sleeping, unless my sig. other can vouch otherwise. There's no way I'm gonna wear a mouth guard like Gabe.
So you can see, I have a hard time with trusting dentists these days.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home